- Go here for updates on the next AAS meeting. Date has not yet been determined, but the location info is available
- First Mediterranean Congress on Scorpion and Ophidian Envenomation - Marrakech, Morocco May 20-23, 2013 - This congress will be an opportunity for researchers, experts and the various operators in the domain of envenomations to take stock of the various research topics and to increase the exchange of know-how in zoological research, biochemical, toxicological, Treatment of envenomations and the management of poisoned persons.Visit http://www.cmeso1.uca.ma/ for more information.
- 19th International Congress of Arachnology - Kenting National Park, Taiwan June23 - 28, 2013- new information should be posted at http://araneae.thu.edu.tw/ica2013/ in early November 2012
- “Sex chromosomes and meiosis in spiders: a review” (Araujo D, Schneider MC, Paula-Neto E, Cella DM), part of the book “Meiosis – Molecular Mechanisms and Cytogenetic Diversity”, ISBN 978-953-51-0118-5, published by InTech in February of 2012, is freely available on-line. This book chapter is a review of all cytogenetic studies in spiders since 1885. The chapter is a survey on the meiotic behavior and hypotheses to explain the chromosomal mechanisms for the occurrence of different sex chromosome systems during evolution of this group of arachnids. The chapter can be downloaded, accessing this link Sex Chromosomes and Meiosis in Spiders: A Review.
- Book on Cuban scorpions now available - Rolando Teruel and I are pleased to inform you that we just published a book on Cuban scorpions. It is in English and contains 636 color photos of all Cuban species in their habitat, during mating and parental care, as well as morphology of conserved specimens. Also included are photos of localities. Cuba is currently known to host 54 species of scorpions which all are treated and illustrated, and two new taxa are described - Cryptoiclus rodriguezi gen. et sp. n. (Diplocentrinae) and Microtityus pusillus sp. n. (Buthidae). The book can be ordered from email@example.com
About this page. This space will be used to post announcements dealing with:
- Society business Arachnological Meetings
- Jobs in arachnology
- Summer research opportunities for undergraduates
- Post-doctoral opportunities & graduate assistantships
- Other research opportunities
- Scholarly or unusual requests for information pertaining to arachnids.
- Announcements of forthcoming books on arachnids (at the web administrators discretion).
Listing will be by date; the latest postings will be at the top. Please note that the American Arachnological Society takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the listings placed here with the exception of official society business.
Notices may be submitted by email to the site administrator or by using the site's feedback and suggestions form. The appropriateness of all submissions for posting on this page will be decided by the site administrator in consultation with the Society's President, if need be.
Subject: Post-doctoral fellowships in Israel for US Citizen
Description: Fulbright fellowships for US citizens to conduct post-doctoral research in an Israeli university are available. However, the Fulbright fellowship is insufficient on it's own and needs to be supplemented by other fellowship sources.
If you are interested in a postdoc in spider ecology and behavior research in my lab (Dr. Yael Lubin), please contact me.
Additional post-doc funding may be available from The Blaustein Center for Scientific Cooperation (BCSC) of Ben-Gurion University which offers 1/2 or full postdoc fellowships.
The next deadline for application is 1 Feb 2012.
Further information can be found at the following URL: http://www.bgu.ac.il/BIDR/bic/fellowships.htm
Submitted by: Dr. Yael Lubin,
Mitrani Department of Desert Ecology
Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research
Ben-Gurion University, Sede Boqer Campus
Prof. Lubin's website: http://cmsprod.bgu.ac.il/Eng/Units/bidr/Faculty_Members/Lubin.htm
Mitrani Dept. of Desert Ecology: http://cmsprod.bgu.ac.il/Eng/Units/bidr/Departments/EnvironmentalResearch/Mitrani
Subject: Availability of the Guide d’identification des Araignées du Québec
Recently, the entomological association who was distributing the Guide d’identification des Araignées du Québec by Paquin & Dupérré (2003) decided to stop this activity. This resulted in the authors acquiring the remaining copies and now insuring the distribution of the monograph. This book (250 pages, spiral bound) contains 2700 illustrations leading to species level identification of 670 spiders and constitutes a precious taxonomic tool.
Complete ref: Paquin, P. & Dupérré, N. (2003) Guide d'Identification des Araignées du Québec. Fabreries, Supplément 11, 1–251.
Originally, this book was sold for $50.00 (+ taxes + shipping), but could be acquired now for 25.00 ($CAN) + shipping (or with arrangements to save shipping charges).
Maybe a few copies could be brought to the next international meeting in Poland, simply let us know if you would be interested in acquiring one.
For more information, please contact Pierre Paquin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nadine Dupérré (email@example.com)